This International Workers’ Day, RoadMap and Mujeres Unidas y Activas (MUA) are excited to announce the release of a new report, Shifting Power From the Inside Out, based on the organizational transformation and leadership development work that leaders from all levels in MUA engaged in with the support of two RoadMap consultants in a project called Futuro Fuerte (Strong Future).
In addition to the report, RoadMap and MUA are excited to share an interview with Juana Flores, MUA’s Executive Director as well as a video series featuring a conversation with MUA leaders as well as the two RoadMap consultants involved with the project.
Interview (English) | Interview (Spanish) | Video Series
“I hope that this report can support and help other membership-based organizations to recognize that their members are capable of leading their own organization. This does not happen overnight. Even with MUA having this internal program does not mean what we are already 100% there. We are in the process of creating this model. Every day we are learning more. To other community leaders I say: Do not be afraid, it is not easy and it is not difficult either. It is important to surround yourself with allies that support and believe in your leadership. We can show that we are capable and more than anything that we have a lot of desire to serve our community. When other women see us leading, they will believe more in themselves and in the movement.”
– Juana Flores, Shifting Power from the Inside Out: 10 Questions
Shifting Power from the Inside Out shares one organization’s journey towards:
- Increasing representation of community members amongst leadership and staff.
- Developing specific internal practices to ensure that immigrant women are encouraged to step up — and that US born women take a back seat — in organizational leadership.
- Encouraging frank discussions about race, class and power.
- Ending practices of white supremacy that limit the leadership of people of color.
- Shifting towards a model of collaboration and authentic shared leadership.
The report, produced collaboratively, offers a new framework for community-based organizations on the evolution from member-based to member-led organizational structure, culture and practice.
At a time when political leaders in the U.S. are using rhetoric and policy to terrorize and silence immigrant communities, Shifting Power demonstrates how we can back immigrant women as the leaders our movements need.